As a former assistant district attorney and city prosecutor, I know what my clients are going through and I work aggressively to defend them. In fact, I’m passionate about putting my knowledge of the system, from both sides, to work defending and protecting constitutional rights.
With extensive experience under her belt, Leilani Tynes, the newest addition to the Reeves & Mestayer team, is a skilled criminal defense attorney who is dedicated to making sure those facing criminal charges get fair treatment, protecting the rights and freedoms of those she represents.
Leilani graduated from the University of Mississippi School of Law in 2000, where she served as Vice-Chairman of the Moot Court Board, was a member of the National Moot Court Competition Team, and was a member of the Saul Leftkowitz Competition Team, just to name a few credentials. Since then, Leilani has spent time honing her criminal defense skills serving as assistant district attorney in the Third and Nineteenth Circuit Court Districts, and serving as prosecutor for the City of Ocean Springs.
During her tenure as assistant district attorney, Leilani handled thousands of cases involving drugs, violent crimes, sex crimes, computer crimes, and crimes against children. She also served as Drug Court prosecutor and as a member of the Human Trafficking Taskforce.
Leilani is passionate about criminal defense because every person accused of a crime is innocent until proven guilty. With extensive court room experience she knows what prosecutors are thinking and knows how to fight for the rights of her clients, producing highly favorable results.
- University of Mississippi School of Law – 2000
- University of Mississippi, B.A., Special Education – 1996
- Mississippi Bar Association
- Jackson County Bar Association
- Mississippi Children’s Justice Act Taskforce
- Charter and Fitness Committee for the Mississippi Board of Bar Admissions
- Former member of the Mississippi Association of Drug Court Professionals
- Former Board member and Secretary Treasurer for the Mississippi Prosecutors Association
- Former Board Member for Jackson County Drug Court
Presentations and Events
- Presenter for the Prosecutors Section Meeting at the Mississippi Bar Convention – 2015
- Domestic Violence Law Enforcement Training – 2007
- Expert Medical Witness, Jackson Mississippi – 2004
- “Stop the Hurt Conference,” Tupelo, MS – 2003